Monday, May 24, 2010

Flowers are blooming and so is some sewing!

So, I bought this pattern from Carol at her sale and I just happened to have this charm pack in a drawer.  So, I broke it out this weekend.  I bought this pattern because I really want to work on my machine applique.  Not that I am overally thrilled with any of it, but I am really unhappy with the center circles.  I am thinking about ripping them out and starting over.  Yuck.  Even looking at the photo makes me upset.  For those of you that machine applique, what tips can you offer?  I suspect it will just take practice.
For one thing, I know I need a better light near my sewing machine.  I was having a hard time seeing what I was doing.  Now on a more positive note, I am normally do not use black fabrics too much, but I do the like the blacks in the border of this.  I even have enough fabric to add a black binding on this when I am done.

Here's a picture of Buddy at the baseball diamond.  Isn't he cute? 

7 comments:

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Did you use a stabilizer underneath? Even a sheet of paper (though it will dull your needle something fierce) is better than no stabilizer at all. ;-)

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Oh! and an open toe foot is lovely for seeing! ;-) Good luck!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

What call me crazy said. Open toe foot works wonders but I have no other advice for you. I'm crappy at machine applique myself. I'm about to tackle my own curved applique soon. I'm dreading it. I will be back to see what tips people give you. But your piece is VERY cute. Love the ME fabrics!

And Buddy does look very cute! Looks like he's ready to hit a homerun! Goooo Buddy!

Carol said...

That's awesome that you are using the pattern you got from me. I think your flowers and basket are adorable. But if you don't like it how about getting some big yellow buttons and covering up the circles? Just a thought.

Allie said...

How DARLING! For machine applique, yes, you're right it takes practice....I use my 1/4" foot, it has a little wall on the right-hand side and I use it as a guide to run right alongside the edge of the applique. I go really slow, even though I get impatient I know it's faster than hand-applique, lol! Also, my 1/4" foot is clear, I can see through it. Try getting one of those Flex Lights - they attach to your sewing machine somehow and you can bend them to get the light right where you need it. My machine has an awesome light built in...I'd be lost without it.
I too love the black in that fabric - black binding sounds good!

Buddy is so handsome!

Nancy said...

Love the circles. I just got my Olfa circle cutter in the mail today and can't wait to machine applique some.
My advice...is to slow down. Always pivot your work with the needle on the outside edge. With circles you have to pivot a lot... and maybe you need to adjust the space between stitches. just a bit more room between stitches will make it easier. But most important. Pivot often...

GroverFamily said...

Stopping by from the BINGO game! Love the handbag you made...looking forward to reading more of your blog!
http://lifewiththegrovers.blogspot.com