I am following Weight Watchers points and I have had a lot success with this diet in the past. The first time my weight crept up on me was right after I graduated from college. I was getting ready to get married and decided I wanted to lose the weight. I lost over 30 pounds and became a lifetime WW member. Well, then I had a baby. I gained 60 pounds during my pregnancy. It was awful. I had about 35 left to lose at my 6 week post check up. I lost that and this time I did it all on my own following the program. Well, (does anyone see a trend here?) this time I had the most to lose yet. . .I just don't know why I let it creep up that bad. I was sick of counting. I was sick of dieting. I was sick of a couple of situations related to work and I think I was eating to compensate. So, this fall I decided it was time to regain control. I started dieting in September and lost 20 pounds before Thanksgiving. I was thrilled. I managed to only gain 2 pounds (although showing no dieting or self control) from Thanksgiving until New Years (and I was pleased with this). So, I am back on the wagon. I want to lose at least 21 pounds maybe 25. I know I can do it.
Some easy nutritional changes I have made this week:
- journal what I eat
- I have heard that green tea boosts the metabolism, so I have been drinking 14 ounces each morning. I am not a fan of traditional green tea, but I do like Republic of Tea's Blueberry Green Tea, which has great antioxidants as well.
- I have been getting my milk portions each day. I have found in the past I lose best when I do this. I drink 1/2 percent, because it TASTES so much better than skim and it is the same WW points.
- I have upped my fiber-foods! Are you looking for a tasty treat....try Fiber One bars, they are only 2 WW points....and they have loads of fiber. I like the chocolate ones or the caramel ones best. At Betty Crocker's site, they have a coupon right now.
- I have dug out my favorite cookbook: Jyl Steinback's The Busy Mom's Slow Cooker Cookbook which has more than 320 Low Cal Low Fat dishes. Talk about comfort foods....these are delicious. I love how all the nutritional info is on each dish, so it is fast to point out. I also love how hubby loves the meals in it. This week I made Chicken Tetrazzini. Husband's favorite it the clam chowder though.
- I made the following low point, high fiber soup for my lunches this week. It is only 28 degrees here, so I also like that it warms me up.
Kris's Favorite 3 Bean Soup ( a bit altered from a Family Circle recipe)
In a stock pot, saute 2 cloves of garlic, 1 medium diced sweet onion, 2 TBSP Chili Powder in 1 TBSP EVOO. Meanwhile, chop 2 sweet bell peppers (or sometimes I substitute 1 green pepper) and 1 medium size zucchini. Add to the saute and saute another 5 minutes. Dump in 2 28 cans of petite dice tomatoes, 1/4 cup of ketchup, 1/2 tsp of dried oregano. Cook about 8 minutes. Stir in a 14 ounce can of each: black beans, navy beans, and small red kidney beans and cook for about 3 minutes. 2 points for 2 cups. Makes a huge pot. Portion and freeze leftovers for future.