Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Loser Monday- Diet Challenge Update

Hey dieters! I am a few days late, I apologize. . .I missed the whole post on Monday concept! Oops. I did start my diet on Sunday though, so that is the good news.

My story:
I am following Weight Watchers points and I have had a lot success with this diet in the past. The first time my weight crept up on me was right after I graduated from college. I was getting ready to get married and decided I wanted to lose the weight. I lost over 30 pounds and became a lifetime WW member. Well, then I had a baby. I gained 60 pounds during my pregnancy. It was awful. I had about 35 left to lose at my 6 week post check up. I lost that and this time I did it all on my own following the program. Well, (does anyone see a trend here?) this time I had the most to lose yet. . .I just don't know why I let it creep up that bad. I was sick of counting. I was sick of dieting. I was sick of a couple of situations related to work and I think I was eating to compensate. So, this fall I decided it was time to regain control. I started dieting in September and lost 20 pounds before Thanksgiving. I was thrilled. I managed to only gain 2 pounds (although showing no dieting or self control) from Thanksgiving until New Years (and I was pleased with this). So, I am back on the wagon. I want to lose at least 21 pounds maybe 25. I know I can do it.

Some easy nutritional changes I have made this week:
  • journal what I eat
  • I have heard that green tea boosts the metabolism, so I have been drinking 14 ounces each morning. I am not a fan of traditional green tea, but I do like Republic of Tea's Blueberry Green Tea, which has great antioxidants as well.
  • I have been getting my milk portions each day. I have found in the past I lose best when I do this. I drink 1/2 percent, because it TASTES so much better than skim and it is the same WW points.
  • I have upped my fiber-foods! Are you looking for a tasty treat....try Fiber One bars, they are only 2 WW points....and they have loads of fiber. I like the chocolate ones or the caramel ones best. At Betty Crocker's site, they have a coupon right now.
  • I have dug out my favorite cookbook: Jyl Steinback's The Busy Mom's Slow Cooker Cookbook which has more than 320 Low Cal Low Fat dishes. Talk about comfort foods....these are delicious. I love how all the nutritional info is on each dish, so it is fast to point out. I also love how hubby loves the meals in it. This week I made Chicken Tetrazzini. Husband's favorite it the clam chowder though.
  • I made the following low point, high fiber soup for my lunches this week. It is only 28 degrees here, so I also like that it warms me up.

Kris's Favorite 3 Bean Soup ( a bit altered from a Family Circle recipe)

In a stock pot, saute 2 cloves of garlic, 1 medium diced sweet onion, 2 TBSP Chili Powder in 1 TBSP EVOO. Meanwhile, chop 2 sweet bell peppers (or sometimes I substitute 1 green pepper) and 1 medium size zucchini. Add to the saute and saute another 5 minutes. Dump in 2 28 cans of petite dice tomatoes, 1/4 cup of ketchup, 1/2 tsp of dried oregano. Cook about 8 minutes. Stir in a 14 ounce can of each: black beans, navy beans, and small red kidney beans and cook for about 3 minutes. 2 points for 2 cups. Makes a huge pot. Portion and freeze leftovers for future.

6 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Ooooh, that blueberry tea sounds really good! Is that something that's readily available in the grocery store? Good Luck on your diet!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Good going Kris! Sounds like you are on the right track. I've been doing pretty good too. Stayed within my points yesterday and didn't snack on "bad" stuff... stayed AWAY from the chips that are calling my name! I'm very proud of myself. LOL!

Jen

StitchinByTheLake said...

Keep up the good work Kris! I'm in there with you - started back dieting the day after Christmas and will be reporting my loss at the end of the month. blessings, marlene

Mary Anne Drury said...

OH I can SO relate on the yo yo weight thing (I'm the QUEEN !!) ...so, here we go again (and hopefully this time it'll stick!)

.....I'll have to look for that Busy Mom's Slow Cooker Cookbook ... sounds like a good one

.....Good luck!!

Janet, said...

Good luck with your dieting. My neighbor does weight watchers sometimes. I usually count calories, but after a while you do get sick of counting calories and points.I've cut down on my portions and snacking and am going to see if that works. I've got a very simple bean soup recipe on my site now, too.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Good for you!!! You can do it. Just keep going.
I like green tea but then I like all tea. Sweet tea is my fav. but I guess I can't have that. LOL