Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A New Purse for me- Merry Christmas to me!


I have actually had this fabric and pattern since fall. I bought it at my favorite shop, Mabelena's. The pattern is called An Everyday Bag by Favorite Things pattern designs. While I know you don't live near Mabelena's, you can find this pattern company on the web.

It is a cute bag, I think. It is quite roomy...a must for a mama. Yesterday on the way to a doctor's appointment, I was able to put someone's army helmet, walkietalkie, and compass in it. Sometimes mamas have to be able to do things like that and I as quite pleased my new bag would hold all of that plus my mittens, wallet, cell phone, and everything else I normally have crammed in my bag. I really like the side pockets for my cell phone, which typically seems to get lost inside my purse. While the purse pattern had 2 options for closures (one: loop and button; two: 2 straps and velcro), I skipped both and added a magnetic snap. The inside, as I previously mentioned, is roomy and has nice pockets. I used batting (and quilted it diagonally on the outside layer) and I used Pelon Heavy Weight Craft fuse on the inside). I am pleased to say it stands up on its own when you set it down and I am really pleased with my choices there.


Pattern Review:
Positives:
Nice heavy weight paper for the pattern.
Good sewing directions.
Two different handle options offer variety.
Tells you the finished bag dimensions.
Overall, this was a very easy bag to sew even a beginner would enjoy it, I think.

Wishes:

I found it very weird that the designer didn't show you a cutting diagram for laying out the bag on the material.
I wish the designer would have separated the fabric requirement amounts for people who may have wished to do the handles and pockets in separate colors from the outside material. I particularly find it odd because on the front of the pattern, they show a bag with different colored handles.

Moving on. . .

Thanks to everyone who has expressed interest in a Valentine's Swap. I will be announcing one right after the New Year, so keep checking back for that! I hope we get a lot of eager swappers.

Also, some of you may have seen The Fat Quarter Shop's Good Cheer Giveaway contest. I was tickled pink that my essay about my mom, was one of 5 winners! So, if you subscribe to their Jolly Jabber blog, be watching for the essay about Mary later in the week. . .you'll recognize buddy in the photo. The Fat Quarter Shop is my favorite online quilt shop and I enjoy keeping up with their blog normally. Mom won a 50 dollar gift certificate and I won a jelly roll! A special thanks to the Fat Quarter Shop for sharing their own Christmas cheer.

Now, you girls watch out for that spiked Egg Nogg at your family holidays!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the bag and your review of the pattern, very nice touch! I am amazed at what you were able to fit in it. Congrats on your win at the Fat Quarter Shop. Love that place.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Very nice bag indeed. I think I need to make myself one too!

Jen :)

Unknown said...

Cute bag!
Just stopping by to say....
Merry Christmas to you!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

What a lovely bag - how nice to make a Christmas present for yourself!! Have a wonderful Christmas and all the best for 2009!

Loralynn said...

I love your bag! The material is lovely!

Anonymous said...

First of all, I am SO glad that you e-mailed me! I have been thinking of you a lot lately! I will drop you a line.

Second of all, is the Mabelena's to which you refer located in Ortonville? If so, it's a REALLY small world ...

Leah said...

was it hard to put in the magnetic snap? i've been making some bags again and i was looking at snaps at the hobby lobby last night but couldn't see how you would put it in and it didn't come with instructions. I know i should enter the terms on google and up would come myriad sites with info, but i'm resisting. happy holidays!