Sunday, September 28, 2008

A charming quilt


I guess September was the unofficial Charm Pack month here at DQ. Sound the trumpets! I am so happy you joined me for the journey. To wrap up September, I am going to leave you with one last charm project, a quilt. This quilt is perfect for anyone, but I particulary liked it because it was a FAST project for me. We have recently had a big schedule change in my husband's work schedule. It has impacted us in many ways, and I just have little time to sew or I am too tired to care to sew. I bought this little laminated pattern and then realized I already had the 2 charm packs it called for and 1.5 yards of fabric. I was so excited that I actually started it relatively quickly. I started this project this week and away I went.

This quilt started with sewing charms together to make a 9 patch block in the center and surrounding it with a border. And then I surrounded it with a charms pieced border, followed with more border, and repeated. I am explaining this to you for the simple fact that because I used the brown colored charms, I think it really detracted from the pattern itself. Next time (and believe me, there will be a next time as I loved this pattern! It makes for a really quick gift.), I will be careful not to use the charms that are too similar in color to the border color.

I probably sewed for about a half hour for two nights, then I spent a couple of hours on it yesterday and the top was FINISHED. I felt so accomplished, that I think I am ready to start my next project, which is for the Polka Dots and Ric Rac Swap. I am very excited about my project that I picked. Here's just a hint, I am using some Michael Miller fabric.

If you are keeping track, I am nearing my 100th post and that will mean a giveaway not to be missed. Thanks for hanging in there with me while I am not getting as much blogging or sewing done as I did this summer.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad that you found some time to sew. I love the quilt you made. Isn't it great when you have a quick project to make and you feel satisfied after?

StitchinByTheLake said...

I have several charm packs I need to put together. Don't you just love them? And I like the way you used these - perfect! blessings, marlene

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Great quilt!! Hey everytime I reply to your comments on my blog they are returned to me. I dont one has ever gone thru. So I'm not ignoring you honest. LOL

Cheryl said...

What a great fast quilt. Sometimes it is just hard to fit in sewing, but boy it sure feels good when you do!

Thimbleanna said...

Very Charming indeed! I love the design and I kind of like that a few of the blocks blend in -- it makes for a surprise in the design!

Cathie said...

Love that pattern! I see what you mean about the colors being similar, but the design is so cute anyway!!

Hope your schedules get easier!

Cath

Anonymous said...

I like using charm packs too. Your quilt looks nice.

Carin said...

beautiful quilt!

em's scrapbag said...

Love the colors in this little quilt. You did a great job.